Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Thoughts and Cheeseburger Potato Soup

Things I remember most about Christmas from my childhood: Alabama Christmas songs, being together as a family, lots of fun and laughter, watching Christmas movies on Christmas Eve and eating party food.

Traditions I'd like to keep: 3 gifts from my husband and I (one for each present given by the Wisemen) plus Santa's gift and a gift from the other sister, making a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas Day, putting an emphasis on giving (maybe cleaning out toys to give to charity before Christmas?)

Favorite Christian Christmas Song: "A Strange Way to Save the World" followed closely by "Mary Did You Know"

Favorite Secular Christmas Song: "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Favorite Christmas Movie: Elf - Although we don't own it :0/

Favorite Christmas Cookie: hmmm...this is a hard one! I can't choose! I love Molasses, Soft sugar cookies, and quite the fan of a recipe I inherited after marrying my husband - Andes Mint Cookies (I'll post this one next week after our staff cookie exchange!).

Okay, so the cold weather always puts me in the mood for soup and one of my favorites I discovered in college. During my four years at Purdue University (Boiler Up!) Scotty's Brewhouse opened at the levee. My only desire would have been that they served this fabulous soup every day instead of only once a week on the rotation! It's been awhile since I've had the cheeseburger soup at Scotty's so I can't swear it tastes just like it but it is so good, I don't even care! I hope you enjoy!

Cheeseburger Potato Soup



Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups water
2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
2 carrots, grated (I diced)
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional - I did not include)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
1 pound ground beef
2 1/2 cups milk, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 pound Velveeta, cubed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper


1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, potatoes, carrots, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Sprinkle salt and bouillon over the mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain.
3. Stir cooked beef and 2 cups milk into the soup and heat through. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk with flour, stirring until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese until melted. Season with cayenne.

1 comment: